I have finally come up with a bib design that meets my rather picky requirements. In my opinion, a knitted bib must be:
- garter stitch or some other thick stitch… not stockinette and definitely not lace (lace=holes and who wants holes in their bibs?)
- dense but not stiff
- easy to make because I don’t want to spend hours on something that’s intended to get nasty
- long enough to cover the baby’s chest because short bibs just don’t cut it
- cute, but not fussy… and nothing chunky appliqued to the front to get gunked up with food
- tied (not buttoned) so as to be adjustable
This bib meets all of those requirements, so I will probably be making many of them. It seems that many people are concerned about putting ties on baby things, but I feel that if your baby is being supervised properly it is highly unlikely that he will strangle himself on his bib.
I am writing up a pattern for this bib that I hope to put up on my “free patterns” page today or tomorrow. It depends on how long my babies sleep for me this afternoon!